Orphaned Response

carroll at m.cs.uiuc.edu carroll at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 25 06:22:00 AEST 1990

/* Written  6:31 pm  Mar 18, 1990 by plocher at sally.Sun.COM in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
+--
| >> We're experiencing some problems with a network implementation on an intel
| >> 320 running System V/386. The performance is dog slow,  [ ... ]
| Additionally, the problem often manifests itself under NFS, when trying to read
| files. If the file is longer than a certain (small, roughly a few K), nothing
| will be read, while small files will be read just fine. I will get a
+--

Aha!

It sounds like you need to set rsize=1024,wsize=1024 in your /etc/fstab file
for all your NFS devices...
[ ... ]
This *is* mentioned in Wollongong's 386 TCP/IP & NFS manuals, I don't know
about LAI,ISC, Everex, or Intel...

   -John Plocher
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */

Yes, that's the ticket. Tried it out and it works now. Sigh...I like 386/ix,
but there seem to be a number of pitfalls like this, where the solution is
trivial but not mentioned anywhere in the manuals. Thank Turing for the net.

Alan M. Carroll                "Like the north wind whistling down the sky,
carroll at cs.uiuc.edu             I've got a song, I've got a song.
Conversation Builder:           I carry it with me and I sing it loud
+ Tomorrow's Tools Today +      If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud"
Epoch Development Team
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!cs.uiuc.edu!carroll