VRAM Vga

HIM tron1 at tronsbox.UUCP
Sun Mar 25 17:00:24 AEST 1990

>In article <180 at csinc.UUCP> rpeglar at csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) writes:
>-In article <1990Mar21.051715.27439 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
>brando at uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) writes:
>->
>-> XGIF:   Failure to Allocate Desired Colors.  &&
>->
>->         UTTERLY FAILED to allocate blah blah blah.....
>->
>-

Oddly enough , in solving my origional problem I had with my VGA card , I
did the 1.1 upgrade from ISC. Running the VGA server , I have been generally
happy with "xgif's" results.

I use FBM to convert the images down to 16 colors and have not yet gotten a
failure message.

>No, this message occurs because VGA cards can display only 16 colors at a
>time.  GIF images can contain 256 colors.  You'll get this message from xgif
>with nearly any image if you're using a VGA card.  I think the only card that
>supports 256 colors and is supported by ISC's X server is the IBM 8514A.

I know , thats too bad to .. remember that ALL VGA cards cann support
320x200x256 (pretty sad for X) , and it burns me up because my VRAM can do
800x600x256 ...

"George Lucas is really my father", Says Ronald Reagan.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1 at tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568