Cheap UNIX with NFS?

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Wed Mar 28 06:43:20 AEST 1990

  I have an application which requires a machine which will be an ftp server,
and be accessed by a number of people. It will be on a 386, and I am
looking for the cheapest (reliable) version of UNIX I can run.

  It must be unlimited user and support ftp and connect to two physical
networks with (obviously) two ethernet cards. The ability to forward
packets between networks is not needed, and must be able to be disabled
if present. Anonymous ftp would be useful. Both client and server NFS
are desirable, but neither is absolutely essential. Support for SL/IP
is desirable, also.

  That's it! No development or text set, no X-windows, just sit between
two networks and control what is passed between them. Any suggestions
wanted, particularly if you have done something like this and know it
works.

  I have yet to talk with any normal customer who has seen Open Desktop
with NFS. Does this mean it isn't out, no one ever bought it, or I just
haven't talked to the right people?

  I think posting is appropriate for replies, but if I get mail I'll
summarize unless it is marked as confidential.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)