want PST clock not EST in ix/386

M.R.Murphy mrm at sceard.Sceard.COM
Wed Mar 14 08:52:24 AEST 1990

In article <3022 at auspex.auspex.com> guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:

 >>Instead of placing a TZ= into the /etc/profile, or any individual user's
 >>login .profile, you should place a ". /etc/TIMEZONE".
 >
 >Even that shouldn't be necessary, in S5R3.1 and later (maybe even
 >S5R3.0), since:
 >
 >	1) as you noted elsewhere, "init" reads "/etc/TIMEZONE" and sets
 >	   up the environment from it;
 >
 >	2) "login" - at least in the 3B2 source version of S5R3.1 -
 >	   preserves the value of "TZ".
 >
 >If it *is* necessary, somebody screwed up badly.

Doesn't anybody have users that log into their machines from different
timezones? And that want the timezone they want. I think that EST has,
well, kind of a traditional feel to it. Sort of New Jerseyish, no disrespect
intended.

WRT timezones in general, Unix(tm) does seem to come in more than one
flavo(u)r. What do we expect, standards?

:-)

--
Mike Murphy  Sceard Systems, Inc.  544 South Pacific St. San Marcos, CA  92069
mrm at Sceard.COM        {hp-sdd,nosc,ucsd,uunet}!sceard!mrm      +1 619 471 0655