gcc on SCO UNIX System V/386

Martin Harris martinh at hpopd.HP.COM
Wed Mar 28 00:48:32 AEST 1990

I've also come across this problem when compiling large sections of code.
I submited a bug report to SCO several months ago and heard nothing since !

As far as I can make out the cc Microsoft compiler supplied is related to
the one on Xenix which produces OMF binaries. On SCO Unix however the default
binary format is AT&T's COFF, so to do this the compiler still produces OMF
binaries and puts them through the converter utility cvtomf, which in the
above cases falls over with the error you showed. The above is pure speculation
on my part, from experience with the compiler.

Possible get arounds are, if you are compiling with the -g flag to include
debugger info, then remove it as it seems to cause the problem. Or else use
the AT&T compiler supplied (rcc) instead, although be carefull to set the
manifest defines you require.

I hope this is some help.

Regards Martin Harris,

Disclaimer ; all the above is my own view , and does reflect any view ofmy employer.