Permissions

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Tue Mar 27 03:18:09 AEST 1990

In article <511350 at nstar.UUCP> larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>my machine is having problems accepting file requests from unknown
>machines.   My permissions file contains:

>MACHINE=OTHER \
>COMMANDS=/usr/bin/rnews:/usr/bin/rmail \
>SENDFILES=yes REQUEST=yes \
>READ=/usr/spool:/usr/public WRITE=/usr/spool

>shouldn't this work?

The MACHINE field is used to find an entry in PERMISSIONS only on outbound
calls.  The LOGNAME field is used for inbound calls, so you should probably
set up a different login/password for the anon machines and add the
corresponding LOGNAME=login to this entry.  Otherwise you will get the
entry for the first item with a login that matches in the PERMISSIONS
file.  Yes, this is confusing.  I trust you have already dealt with the
remote.unknown file.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us