Rebooting a PS/2

James R. Howard jrh at mustang.dell.com
Sat Mar 10 09:02:35 AEST 1990

In article <7191 at lynx.UUCP>, m5 at lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) writes:
> I know about the keyboard controller deal; like I said above, I've
> got code that works on PC's.  I suspect that there's something in
> the clock RAM that tells the BIOS that the reset is not a cold boot,
> but instead is a return to real mode.  I don't have any hard facts.
>
> I'll be very thankful for any information.  I'll even offer source
> code to my excellent tomato sauce recipe.

Well, I looked in the IBM PS/2 Model 80 Technical Reference Manual.
According to the documentation, on page 4-13, the exact same keyboard
controller reset should work.  If not, then it is broken, since the
document clearly states that pulsing the reset bit will reset the
microprocessor.

I don't know what code you have tried, judging by the newsgroups
posted to, I would assume you are running aix or unix.  At any
rate, the easiest test for pure functionality according to their
published specs, would be to boot DOS on the machine, and load up
debug.com.  Then do the following:

C:\> debug
-o 64,fe

That should reboot the machine as described in the tech ref.  If so,
then you know it works, and the code you are using yourself is
probably suspect.

James Howard
..uunet!dell!mustang!jrh   or    jrh at mustang.dell.com

The opinions stated are my own, and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of my employer, or anyone else.