Optical Drives on ESIX

Scott Lee scott at audiofax.com
Mon Mar 12 22:45:59 AEST 1990

I am interested in putting one of the new R/W optical drives on an ESIX
(a 386 system V.3.2 release from Everex) system with an Adaptec 1542D
controller. Has anyone had any experience with this? The folks from
ESIX said that they hadn't tried it but that if the drives behave anything
like a "plain old disk drive" then it should work just fine. I would tend
to believe this, since it would be to the optical guys advantage to make
plug-and-chug peripheral that doesn't need funky device drivers.

Also, what about one of the DAT backup devices? Has anyone ever used one
of these on ESIX or similar (386/ix, SCO unix, etc...) system? Some of the
DAT formats allow random writes in place and so could conceivably be made
to look like a rather slow disk if doing non-concecutive writes and then
operate full tilt if used correctly (or more efficiently).

Thanks for any help,
--
Scott Lee				AudioFAX, Inc.	/ Suite 220
scott at audiofax.com			2000 Powers Ferry Rd.