SCSI hard drive options

James O'Connor jim at bahamut.fsc.com
Fri Mar 9 14:20:57 AEST 1990

In article <997 at xroads.UUCP>, chandler at xroads.UUCP (Jim Chandler) writes:

> option for the long run.  I have decided to purchase the Adaptec 1542A
> controller.  One of the sales people at Hard Drives International said that
> they have had numerous returns of the Miniscribe 9380S.  Owner cite
> compatability problems with the interface.  They have had no problems with
> the ESDI version.  Any comments from NETLAND?  Also, is anyone using a

We tried to use a Miniscribe 9150s with the Adaptec host adapter under SCO
Xenix and had 0 success.  I've seen a list of Roy Neese's recommemded SCSI
drives, and there were no Miniscribes on it.

> Micropolis drive with the above setup or just this type of drive with the
> adaptec card?  I am very interested in responses since I will purchase this
> subsystem within the month.  Thanks for the replies and I will post any info
> that I receive.

We use an 80MB Quantum Q280 and a 190MB CDC Wren V (which is a half-height
drive).  Pick up an issue of the March "Computer Shopper".  It has one of
the most extensive hard drive lists I've ever seen.  I only wish they
also listed where I could buy them.  :-)   Of particular interest was the
Conner 200MB 3.5" half-height SCSI drive.  WOW!!!  And I thought the 100MB
3.5" SCSI drive in this portable I work on was incredible.
James B. O'Connor			Work:	jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Data Processing Manager  		Play:   jim at bahamut.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		UUCP:	uunet!tiamat!jim