386/ix, Orchid, 1024x768

carroll at sunb3.cs.uiuc.edu carroll at sunb3.cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 11 03:39:44 AEST 1990

For those who want to know:
Problem: Orchid card, 1024x768, 386/ix 2.0.2, X11R3 1.1

I have the problem fixed now, with help from ISC. The problem turns out to be
that I had a mono card in the system. According to ISC, in the extended modes,
the VGA addressing is extended to 128K, which causes it to overlap the mono
memory at 0xB80000. I removed the mono card, and all the problems went away.

We often see flames in this file, so I'd like a chance to thank ISC and their
support staff for being very cooperative in this matter.
--------------------------- Clip Here ------------------------------------
                 1 Official Customer Satisfaction
--------------------------- Clip Here ------------------------------------
I'd also like to apologize to the "particular person" about the server kit,
who has also been very cooperative, for my rude remarks in an earlier post.
(Whoever forwarded the previous post, could you forward this too? Thanks!)

P.S. I now have Epoch running under 386/ix 2.0.2 X11R3 1.1, for anyone who
might be interested in the patches. These patches will be in the next
release, due out at some future time. Thanks to the guys at ISC, I've now
switched to 386/ix as my development platform.

Alan M. Carroll                "Like the north wind whistling down the sky,
carroll at cs.uiuc.edu             I've got a song, I've got a song.
Conversation Builder:           I carry it with me and I sing it loud
+ Tomorrow's Tools Today +      If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud"
Epoch Development Team
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!cs.uiuc.edu!carroll