Printing on a remote host using ISC's 386/ix

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Sat Mar 10 04:07:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar8.173527.2437 at pcrat.uucp> rick at pcrat.UUCP (Rick Richardson) writes:
>In article <LARRY.90Feb24152503 at focsys.uucp> larry at focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:
>
>>   I'm trying to figure out how to transparently use a laser printer,
>>   located on an Ethernet host, from my 386 running 386/ix version 2.0.2.
>>   The host is running Ultrix.  Obviously, I could just use a shell script
>>   with "cat $1|rsh <machine_name> /usr/ucb/lpr" but I'm looking for
>>   something better.
>
>I got a copy of "netlp" from ISC last September which implements a
>client-server network lp interface (though I've never tested it).
>According to the DISCLAIMER that came with the software, it was
>an unsupported and freely copyable work.  Perhaps someone at ISC
>could elaborate on the status and availablility of this program
>here in this forum.  I hesitate to send out a copy of "netlp"
>if it has been significantly improved and/or has become a bona-fide
>ISC product.

We have a "networked printer" spooler/client thing here that was sent to me.
It seems to work, but some optimizations I did to it (like not
reading/writing a character at a time) can cause ISC's TCP/IP to blow
cookies on the floor.  Once we have it stable I might consider posting it
(if I can get permission from the authors).

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]