Second request for help

John Wilkes wilkes at mips.COM
Thu Mar 8 12:10:01 AEST 1990

In article <971 at soleil.UUCP> gendel at soleil.UUCP (Gary Gendel) writes:

>I find it hard to believe that no one on the net has ever tried ESIX!  I'm
>looking for comparisons to SCO and Interactive in terms of functionality and
>reliability as well as support.  Any ideas why SCO and Interactive is 3X the
>price of ESIX? Any information is better than a second no response.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Second, does anyone know of a 386 motherboard by the name of Hornet?  The
>machine that I am expecting to purchase has one of these in it!

Please remove unix-pc.general from the "Newsgroups:" line in all future
follow-ups to this thread.  It is a completely inappropriate topic for our
little backwater of the Net.

For those of you who have not recently looked at news.announce.newusers, I
have extracted a description of the charter of the unix-pc hierarchy.

In <9735 at medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf at cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford) writes:

| Unix-PC
| -------
| Another such hierarchy is the "unix-pc" distribution.  This consists of
| groups devoted to users of the AT&T Unix-PC.  These groups were
| originated as a mailing list started by three owners of AT&T Unix PCs:
| Gary Smith, David Dalton and Kathy Vincent.  As the list expanded, it
| turned into a newsgroup hierarchy, and more and more sites began to
| carry the groups; hundreds of sites now carry these groups.  To receive
| them, you need to contact a site already getting them; att, gatech,
| mit-eddie, psuvax1, ucsd and ukma are well-known sites getting these
| groups and the admins there may be willing to help find a feed should
| you desire (and ask nicely); uunet also carries these groups. The
| unix-pc groups circulated include:
|
| unix-pc.bugs		Bug reports, fixes & workarounds.
| unix-pc.general 	General information and discussion.
| unix-pc.sources 	Source code to various programs.
| unix-pc.uucp 		Configuration and management of uucp on Unix-PCs.
| unix-pc.test 		Test group.

For those of you who do not know, the AT&T Unix-PC sports a Motorola 68010
processor and is incapable of running IBM-PC applications (except on an
add-in co-processor board, which is a costly option, and most folks don't
have one - or want one.)

Followups have been directed to comp.unix.i386 and comp.sys.ibm.pc and NOT
to unix-pc.general; please take the time to do this on other followups to
this thread.

Thank you.

-wilkes
--