AHA1542 and ST296N

John Palmer jpp at tygra.UUCP
Tue Mar 27 08:30:35 AEST 1990

In article <511361 at nstar.UUCP> larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
}> ST296N's. I have had ABSOLUTLY NO PROBLEM with the drives or the controller
}> (except the time when the hard drive cable melted, but that was my fault,
}> for setting the jumpers incorrectly on the AHA1542).
}
}What jumpers caused the cable to melt?

The problem occurred because I had to replace the motherboard. Zeos
sent out a machine with a bad CMOS RAM chip so they shipped a new
motherboard out. I didn't get any help at all from them when it came
to installing the board.

Anyways - I had to take all of the cards out of the machine several
times while trying to get the board seated properly. During the process,
a pair of jumpers for setting the IRQ number got pushed together so that
two IRQ numbers were selected for the board (the correct one that was
jumpered and the one that was pushed together). When I powered up the
machine, the hard drive cable disintegrated in a cloud of smoke. Fortunatly,
no damage was done to the drives or controller. Replacing the cable was
the only thing needed.
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -