Questions about ISC 386ix 1.0.5

Joseph E Poplawski jpoplaws at telesci.UUCP
Wed Mar 7 11:48:01 AEST 1990

I am currently running a 16mhz 80386 running ISC 1.0.5.  I have 2 megs of ram
and an 85 meg maxtor HD.  I run netnews 2.11.14 and have submitted a map entry
under the name of "fantasci".

I have a few questions that I am hoping can all get answered by posting them
here to the net.

How would I go about re-linking my kernel with my systems nodename imbedded in
it?  I do have the kernel configuration utilities installed.

Has anyone successfully installed an Arnet Smartport-4 board on their system?
I have one and I received the drivers they sent and followed all the
instructions.  It seemed to install okay, I put the switches the way the
program told me to, it "relinked and stripped the kernel". But all that
happened after that was no response from the board, and error messages when
booting the system about things not being where they should be.  I am not able
to be too much more specific because it has been a few months since I have
tried to install it.

In what book would I find the information on setting up and maintaining the
system accounting features for charging fees, etc? Is it simple to implement?

Does there exist a Fortran 77 Compiler for 386ix?  (either public domain,
shareware, or commercial)  If so, where can one obtain it?

Are there any good word processors available for 386ix?  I am not in a position
to spend lots of $$ (I'd rather buy another hard disk).  The main things I need
in the word processor is: justification, margins (sides and top/bottom), the
ability to print from the program, and auto word wrap.  I haven't seen any easy
ways of doing this through VI which is the only text editor I have.  I was
thinking of something along the lines of Microsoft Word, or something more
simple than that.

Here's a biggie.  I have had to re-install my system about five times in the
last 6 months.  And every time, I have received the following while in the
installation phase:

	formatting...

	formatting complete.

	warning: no alternates partition in VTOC for device /dev/rdsk/0s0
	         bad sectors will NOT be marked!

	invalid FDISK table -- CAN NOT WRITE BOOT!

	warning no root partition. no boot written.

	Creating dos partition (if any)

	caution: destructive write.....

	[and so on with no problem]

What I'd like to know is what this VTOC is and what would cause the problem
the system is complaining about?

PLEASE, any and all suggestions or answers for the above questions would be
greatly appreciated.  E-mail would be the best method but if the answer would
be of broad enough interest, then please post it.

Thanks in advance.

-Jo
--
Joseph E Poplawski (Jo)
Home:  5 Sussex Drive, Willingboro, NJ  08046-1407    Phone:  +1 609 835-2846
jep at fantasci.uucp  jpoplaws at telesci.uucp