aha1542 and Archive 2150 Panic broblem solved

Petri Alhola petri at digiw.UUCP
Thu Mar 15 01:32:26 AEST 1990

In article <511257 at nstar.UUCP> larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:

>I am just wondering why you are using gnu tar verses the other versions
>of tar out there?
>
>The reason I ask is that I too will be looking for a replacment tar, and
>would like to know why you selected the gnu release.

I am using gnu tar mostly becouse there is bug in ISC original tar
program , it just dumps core after few files tarred into tape from
large directiries/files like taring gnu emacs sources .
Gnu tar was relatively easy to port. I found two problems with it.
First, when i tared large number of files, it also dumped core. After
some bug hunting i found that it is caused by bug in original
directory library and malloc. When i replaced malloc with gnu malloc
everything works fine. Other problem is that it still dumps core if there
if illegal filenames in directory, like ones containing controll
characters. Generaly i am wery satisfied gtar, it works fine and
some options like compress makes it easier to use
If there is intrest, i can send diffs for gtar 1.07 for 386/ix
in this newsgroup.

 Petri Alhola
 petri at digiw.fi