Problems with /dev/lp

carroll at m.cs.uiuc.edu carroll at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 11 03:39:56 AEST 1990

/* Written 10:21 am  Mar  8, 1990 by k32018d at kaira.hut.fi in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */
/* ---------- "Problems with /dev/lp" ---------- */
I'm trying to install a printer to my Interactive 386/ix V.3.2.
I want to use the parallel port.

When I try to send something to /dev/lp, I get error msg this way:

/dev/lp: cannot create

/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.i386 */

lp0 is the parallel port on a mono/parallel card. LPT1: is lp1, e.g. your
first parallel card. Speaking from experience, printing runs a lot better
on the parallel card (lp1).

Alan M. Carroll                "Like the north wind whistling down the sky,
carroll at cs.uiuc.edu             I've got a song, I've got a song.
Conversation Builder:           I carry it with me and I sing it loud
+ Tomorrow's Tools Today +      If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud"
Epoch Development Team
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!cs.uiuc.edu!carroll