graded uucp

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed Mar 14 04:27:40 AEST 1990

>Ok, so when will it be available to the rest of us?

Beats the hell out of me.  It'll be available to the rest of you when
the supplier of your UNIX asks Peter for his changes, and folds them
into your UUCP.  I think Pyramid, for example, has already done it.  I
can't speak for any such suppliers other than Sun (and, presumably,
others offering SunOS on their machines).  I certainly can't speak for
AT&T....

>It's curious that uux, uucp, et.al support it, while uucico doesn't know
>what to do.  Can you say "half-baked"?

The original grading, all the way back in V7, merely acted as a way to
cause certain "uucp" jobs (no, "uux" didn't originally support it!) to
be transmitted before others within a given session.  Allowing jobs
below a certain grade not to be transmitted at all except at certain
times is a relatively recent addition.

>I'm cross posting this to the i386 and Xenix newsgroups,

No, you didn't - at least as it arrived here, "comp.unix.xenix" was
absent from the "Newsgroups:" line.