want PST clock not EST in ix/386

Warren Calhoun root at usaos.UUCP
Sun Mar 11 00:38:54 AEST 1990

In article <9003092109.AA09255 at decwrl.dec.com>, paine at fungus.enet.dec.com (Willy Paine) writes:

> I have ix/386 2.0.2 and I set up for PST time but the default date shows
> in EST instead of PST.   Under user's shell environment, I can use
> TZ=PST8PDT but I have couple of bbs login that run standalone bbs
> program that have no shell or environment.  Users are reading EST time
> inside bbs software instead of EST.   It must be able to set up default
> time to PST in startup program like rc or rc2 or rc*.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> willy

As I also run 386/ix, I stopped to do a quick check for you.  When your
system boots, there should be a line in /etc/inittabs invoking bcheckrc.
The file /etc/bcheckrc should (among other things) contain the line;

	. /etc/TIMEZONE

...which should contain the lines;

	TZ=EST5EDT (in my case)
	export TZ

This would alleviate the necessity for any other use of a TZ= line.  It
will also place the TZ shell variable in the global environment.  If, as
you say, the bbs software has no shell or environment (which I don't
understand, but then, I'm no guru [yet]) this probably wouldn't help.
On the other hand, if you mean that the bbs software executes directly
from a line in /etc/passwd, then this will work as the program should
still reference variables in the global environment.

Hope this helps