T18pc uucp througput problem solved

Scott E. Garfinkle dacseg at uts.amdahl.com
Sun Mar 11 15:07:38 AEST 1990

Thanks to those who responded.  The problem I had (~75 cps incoming
uucp throughput on both 2400 and FAST/uucp connnections) is solved.
Dropping in a 16550 chip and using the FAS driver instantly improved
my throughput from 75 to >1200 cps.  Clearly, I was losing character
interrupts.  I hope that someone from telebit reads this group --
the 8250 chip on the t18pc is clearly inadequate.  They should upgrade
everyone who has a problem to a 16550 (for free).

By the way, I got my 16550 (the WD16C550 CMOS version) for $19.95 from
JDR Microdevices in San Jose.  Other companies that have the device include
Jameco and some company in Texas that advertises in Computer Shopper.
Fry's seems to be out of stock for the long haul.

	-Scott E. Garfinkle