Why do you need a 387 to run X11R3?

jeff jeff at samna.UUCP
Thu Mar 15 00:58:44 AEST 1990

In article <20203 at nuchat.UUCP> (Steve Nuchia) writes:
:In article <9868 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> (Craig Chase) writes:
:>I can see the fast cpu and RAM parts, but why the floating point?  I
:
:Unfortunately, the 386 sysV unixes do their FP in the kernel by
:taking a trap on the unimplemented intruction.  This is _real_
:slow.  Slow enough that simple awk scripts can take hours to
:slog through a few hundred K of input.  Get the '87 -- its
:cheaper and easier than wishing you had until you do.

This is all very interesting but can anyone answer the question?

I.e. Does having an FP chip speed up X substantially (exclusive of
arc-drawing), and, if so, why?

Jeff