physical block size > 512 bytes

Martin Peeters martin at idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl
Mon Mar 26 21:05:07 AEST 1990

Does anyone know how existing UNIX device drivers handle physical block
sizes that exceed 512 bytes? For example, Exabyte cartridges use a
block size of 1 kilobyte by default. Two approaches are possible in case
the I/O is not a multiple of the physical block size:

1. An I/O of 512 bytes is written as 1 physical block.

2. The driver uses blocking to combine 2 I/O's of 512 bytes into
   1 physical block.

Obviously, the different approaches lead to incompatibility e.g. when
labelit/volcopy is used.

Thanks in advance,

Martin Peters

Internet:	martin at idca.tds.philips.nl UUCP: ...!mcvax!philapd!martin
Tel:	+31 5543 3163	Fax: +31 5543 3488	Telex: 	36345 phl nl