Info req. for Seagate ST296N SCSI Drive

Martin Husemann mh at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Mar 27 19:14:34 AEST 1990

ssingh at watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay [+] $ingh - Indy Studz) writes:

>I have a Seagate ST296N SCSI drive, along with the ST02 adapter.
>What determines a drives compatibility with Unix?
>Other info: Seagate technical support said it's recording method was RLL,
>but it was a SCSI drive.

On a PC there is nothing like UNIX compatibility. No UNIX I know off makes
any use of PC's BIOS. It uses its own device drivers. So what you need is
a device driver for the ST02 - either by Seagate or the Vendor of your
Unix. I don't think it is available yet.

Your other point: a drive can use RLL recording method and communicate
with the Host via SCSI. Your ST02 is no hard-disk controller, it is an
host adapter. This means, the drive has an integrated disk controller,
which may be a RLL. This controller communicates with the Host by SCSI.

If you get your hand on a device driver, mail me!

Hope that helps,

Martin Husemann
mh at uni-paderborn.de
...!uunet!unido!pbinfo!mh