aha1542 and Archive 2150 Panic broblem solved

Michael Borza mike at antel.uucp
Fri Mar 16 00:42:45 AEST 1990

In article <1175 at digiw.UUCP> petri at digiw.UUCP (Petri Alhola) writes:

>I am using gnu tar mostly becouse there is bug in ISC original tar
>[...]
>everything works fine. Other problem is that it still dumps core if there
>if illegal filenames in directory, like ones containing controll
>characters. Generaly i am wery satisfied gtar, it works fine and

I've never read a formal specification of what constitutes a valid
UNIX filename, but my understanding is that it should be any string of
characters terminated by an ASCII NUL (boorishly assuming ASCII for the
present discussion).  In particular, I'd expect filenames to start using
a richer set of characters as the use of things like `internationalized'
software and less traditional methods of manipulating filenames (for
example, files created by graphics-based utilities under windowing
environments), becomes more prevalent.  If so, then this is clearly a
bug in gnu tar, and a serious one in software to be used for archiving
data.

mike borza.

--
Michael Borza              Antel Optronics Inc.
(416)335-5507              3325B Mainway, Burlington, Ont., Canada  L7M 1A6