Tuning Streams

John Plocher plocher at sally.Sun.COM
Mon Mar 19 10:31:21 AEST 1990

+--
| >> We're experiencing some problems with a network implementation on an intel
| >> 320 running System V/386. The performance is dog slow,  [ ... ]
| Additionally, the problem often manifests itself under NFS, when trying to read
| files. If the file is longer than a certain (small, roughly a few K), nothing
| will be read, while small files will be read just fine. I will get a
+--

Aha!

It sounds like you need to set rsize=1024,wsize=1024 in your /etc/fstab file
for all your NFS devices...

Most/(all?) 386 TCP/IP implementations on ethernet have a max packet size
of 1K, and most other NFS systems assume 8K.  Files under 1K work OK, but
big files fail...

example (this is actually only ONE line in /etc/fstab!):

	sun:/usr/spool/news /usr/spool/news nfs
	    ro,soft,bg,intr,timeo=70,wsize=1024,rsize=1024,retrans=5 0 0

This *is* mentioned in Wollongong's 386 TCP/IP & NFS manuals, I don't know
about LAI,ISC, Everex, or Intel...

   -John Plocher