ISC man page

Bob Palowoda palowoda at fiver.UUCP
Sun Mar 25 17:28:01 AEST 1990

>From article <X2=$5G#@b-tech.uucp>, by zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff):
>>>Does any one know why there are no man pages for all ISC 2.0.2 packages
>>
>>How much disk space do you say you have?
>
> Certainly enough to hold man pages.  ~4-6MB should do it.  I believe it's
> a licensing issue with AT&T (ie, more like "how much are you willing to
> pay for them").

   This is going to be interesting. They price it too high people will
buy the books. Nothing worse than being in competition with yourself.
Another interesting point is that AT&T has the nroff man pages already
to produce the books. I would guess that they gave Prentice Hall the
same man pages to typeset the books. How much more are the pages worth
on electronic media? Not much more then the books. Lets say their is
about 4-6meg. About (eight 1.2meg floppies) x (5.00 disk inc. labor
to make disks) comes out to 40.00. A set of manuals cost 300.00 or about
150 from other publishers. Seems like a tidy profit already. Selling them
more than the manuals already would be like giveing the customer a new
buthole. I can understand the cost of developing software. But I would
really have a problem understanding why man pages would cost more then
the books? Please don't come up with the arguement about the convience
of being able to call up man pages. I hope AT&T is listening. They need
all the help they can get when it comes to makeing UNIX more intuitive to
learn. That is would be one way to increase the UNIX market share. I hope
the lawyers don't try to figure the price. We will have 1 to 2 user versions
of the man pages.

---Bob