AT&T unix V386 on Compaq hardware?

Ti Kan ti at altos86.Altos.COM
Tue Mar 6 09:43:31 AEST 1990

In article <209 at vidiot.UUCP> brown at vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) writes:
>In article <1990Feb27.044606.14253 at csustan.CSUStan.Edu> robert at csustan.CSUStan.Edu (Robert Zeff) writes:
><I would like to install AT&T unix on my Compaq 386/20.  Does AT&T sell their
><unix for hardware other than AT&T?  I could use SCO unix, but I would like
><to use the same unix as we have at work, which is AT&T.
>
>The SCO and ISC versions of Unix for the PC (I have the Compaq 386/20e running
>ISC version 2.0.2) are the AT&T System V release 3.2.
>--

The SCO UNIX System V 3.2 is *based* on AT&T's System V rel 3.2 and
SCO's own XENIX (which in itself is a modified version of Microsoft
XENIX).  *But*, SCO has substantially changed its 5.3.2 UNIX so that
it largely no longer resemble AT&T's version, whether it be the kernel,
libraries, or utilitites.  This is true at the source code level, and
in many cases in a functional level as well.

AT&T's UNIX System V release 4.0 has a i386 version that will run on
a generic 386 PC/AT clone.  I don't know whether 5.4.0 is commercially
available yet.

-Ti
--
Ti Kan                                                                  \\\
vorsprung durch technik!                                                 \\\