Where is timed in the ISC tcp/ip package?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Thu Mar 15 04:16:10 AEST 1990

>Timed was designed to run under BSD, and it relies on the "Berkeley
>UNIX Time Synchronization Protocol (TSP)"  (See your 4.3BSD Manual
>SMM:22) and the BSD adjtime(2) system call.  Since neither TSP nor
>adjtime(2) are supported by AT&T UNIX or ISC UNIX Sytem V release 3 for
>the 386 (formerly known as 386/ix), timed is not supported on ISC UNIX 5.3.

Uh, I thought "timed" *was* what implemented the "Berkeley UNIX Time
Synchronization Protocol" in BSD systems, so the only reason TSP isn't
supported by AT&T UNIX or ISC UNIX System V Release 3 for the 386
(formerly known as 386/ix) is that they don't come with "timed".  Saying
"timed" isn't supported because TSP isn't supported closes the
circle....

The part that breaks the circle is "adjtime", which "timed" uses to
adjust the clock in a less disruptive fashion (instead of jumping the
clock to its new value, it slows it down or speeds it up temporarily
until it syncs up).  Since AT&T UNIX System V Release 3.x, for all
values of "x" I know about, doesn't support "adjtime()", and since ISC
apparently hasn't added it, "timed" won't work without modifications; as
Andrew notes, while you can adjust the clock without "adjtime()", there
are dangers in adjusting it backwards.

Since AT&T UNIX System V Release *4*.x *does* support "adjtime()", as
well as supporting various BSD features, it may be easier to bring up
"timed" (or other time synchronizers originally developed in a BSD
environment) under S5R4 than under S5R3.