X11

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM
Sun Mar 25 02:33:16 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar23.200144.19010 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brando at uiucme2.UUCP (Brando W. Brown) writes:
>In article <834 at lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> jsnyder at lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Jay Snyder) writes:
>>Has anyone ported it to any i386 platform??
>>
>.... because I get all kinds of errors in the compilation stage of the
>servers.

Huh?? How did you ever expect this to work, there IS NO 386 server in the
X11R3 distribution. I would certainly expect you would get errors compiling
a Sun or HP server!:-}! Why do you think the various vendors can resell X11,
its because the value-added is in the server port. It's a lot of work!!
Perhaps the most inexpensive strategy would be to buy the X run-time (which
pretty much is the server and some clients) and then build the libraries
and such from the distribution. Be forewarned, however, even that will not
be a walk in the park, since for instance, libX has a routine called
XOpenDisplay that needs low-level code to talk to the server. I doubt that
you could get away with just compiling and expect it to work.

What I am curious about is X11R4, it has a contributed server for AIX/PS2
that supports both VGA and 8514. Has anyone out there toyed with porting
that code to say ISC?? I have glanced over the code and it wouldn't be
trivial, but it would be a lot closer to a reasonable starting point. Anyone
working on this or interested in doing so??

Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not my employer.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu