Why do you need a 387 to run X11R3?

Russ Taylor rtaylor at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Fri Mar 9 01:56:55 AEST 1990

Please respond to cchase at ee.cornell.edu
Mr. Taylor is kind enough to post this for me, but has no interest in this topic

The  conventional wisdom seem to be, that in order to run X11R3 (either
the ESIX port or the Interactive port) you should have:
a) a fast  cpu
b) gobs of memory
c) floating point support

I can see the fast cpu and RAM parts, but why the floating point?  I
just took a (very quick) look through the X11R3 server source, and there
doesn't seem to be much floating point.  In fact, except for drawing arcs,
I can't see why any floating point is needed.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Craig Chase
cchase at ee.cornell.edu