T18PC and ESIX HDUUCP

Art Neilson art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Fri Mar 2 14:47:47 AEST 1990

In article <efRY02U58cBD01 at amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dacseg at uts.amdahl.com ({sun,uunet,...}!amdahl!dacseg) writes:
>I know that variations of this subject have been beaten to death lately,
>but here goes, anyway.
>
>I have a Telebit T18pc (ROM B4.00) internal modem in my ESIX (SVR3.2/386)
>system.  Despite my best efforts, I have been able to achieve only 75-100 cps
>throughput!  This is using both the asy and the fas drivers.  The modem is
>set up on COM2, and there is nothing else sharing the interrupt.  I have
>the following setup in the Dialers script: AT S50=255, S110=0, S111=30, S58=2.
>Everything else is set at "factory fresh" settings.  The line is not audibly
>noisy, and I have tried with and without echo suppression (S121).  Oh, and
>the speed is set to 19200, of course.
>
>Is there anything I should be trying?
>
>Scott E. Garfinkle

My experience is just the opposite.  After reading the recent articles on
the net regarding the slow throughput with ISC UNIX even with the X5 update,
I had a friend desolder the 8250A's from my 2 T18PC 'blazers and install
sockets on both.  I purchased 2 NS16550AFN's from JDR Microdevices and
installed the parts in my new sockets.  My outgoing traffic was around
800 cps, and incomping was a measly 100-200 cps.  I then installed the fas
drivers, lo and behold the incoming throughput jumped to a whopping 1200 cps,
same for the outgoing traffic.  The site which provides me my news feed is
MUCH happier now, and so am I.  You mention installing the fas driver,
did you also install a 16550 UART on your T18PC ?  fas really can't help
you otherwise as it is designed specifically for that part.
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art at pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art