New group comp.unix.sco

Superuser root at grumbly.UUCP
Tue Mar 27 15:44:09 AEST 1990

In article <1990Mar26.213809.26999 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn)

->>dma at pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) suggests a new group comp.unix.sco.
->> This group would be intended for postings regarding all products
->> from Santa Cruz Operations

  ->There are already newsgroups suitable for the intended purposes.

They aren't well defined enough - I have thought, and maybe others have, that
comp.unix.i386 was for Interactive's unix

  ->The SCO UNIX discussion has so far been carried out in comp.unix.i386
The SCO unix discussions have been all over the place!! comp.unix.i386 is
in 2nd or 3rd place numberwise IMHO

->The major difficulty I see with adding an SCO-specific group is that there
->are many discussions which really apply to various vendors of 386 systems.
->To the extent that the discussions bear on SCO UNIX, I expect we'd see a
->lot of cross-posting, since their base code and VP/ix is based on the same
->code used by the other vendors in that arena.

The cross posting might actually be cut down if everyone if there was a
comp.unix.sco group.  I cross-post to catch all the places someone might
put a sco unix post.

->To the extent that SCO discussions apply to a variety of unrelated
->products, I feel it's a bad precedent to set up new manufacturer-oriented
->groups instead of discussing by topic...I'd really not want to see
->comp.unix.isc, comp.unix.esix, comp.unix.intel, comp.unix.att, come out
->of this.

I don't think that would happen much; ibm, dec and others exist already. SCO,
like them, has a large base and could have its own.  I'ld feel much better
about your arguments if you didn't work for Interactive!!

  ->I haven't seen any confusion in comp.unix.i386.

I have!

 ->Dick Dunn   rcd at ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd   (303)449-2870
 ->   ...Relax...don't worry...have a homebrew.

sorry I don't like alcohol

Richard Ducoty    root at grumbly.com
Capitola  CA
--
 0 0   Richard Ducoty                               ..uunet!grumbly!root
 `