tar & ulimit are pissing me off.

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM
Wed Mar 14 02:38:12 AEST 1990

In article <183 at hacker.UUCP> steve at hacker.UUCP (Stephen M. Youndt) writes:
>The title says it all.  I've been trying to get the gcc archive on and off
>for the past 3 months, without any luck.  No matter what I do, either tar
>or ulimit seems to bite me.  There is a tunable parameter ULIMIT as well as
>what seems to be an undocumented command 'ulimit'.  Using 'ulimit 10000'
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
ulimit is not undocumented, it is not an independent command, it is a
bourne shell builtin, see that man page for info. The csh has a corres-
ponding builtin command 'limit'. BTW, ISC has an interesting bug in the
csh limit function. If you set it unlimited instead of getting what you
would expect everything exceeds your limit!! Sounds like a variable that
needs to be unsigned is not declared so somewhere.

>allows me to create files of up to 5 Meg (approx), while changing the
>ULIMIT parameter doesn't seem to do anything at all.  The problem is that

As another poster noted, you need to rebuild and run a new kernel with this
parameter change to get any effect. As root you can set the ulimit and then
issue the uucp command and you should have no problem.

>Problem #2 is that even though I can
>
> ulimit 20000
> cat gcc-1.36.tar.Z.*[0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10] > gcc-1.36.tar.Z
                                             ^^^^^
>At this point I get, "tar: directory checksum error" or something thereabouts

This is great!! I am not surprised you get a checksum error with a command
like this, what you have when you are done is just part 10!! Try replacing
the '>' with '>>' and everything should work fine :-}!!

Ain't Unix Grand :-} :-}!!

Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not for LCC.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu