BENCHMARKS (Byte's) 368 vs 486 comp.

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.uucp
Fri Mar 9 03:52:45 AEST 1990

In article <1012 at fiver.UUCP> palowoda at fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:

>  Ok, I took the time out to run Byte's Benchmarks on a 25Mhz 386 and
>a 25Mhz 486. Some people out there my be interested in this information.

>CPU and speed= 386 25Mhz
>Dhrystones/sec:               2827             2826           4696.78

>CPU and speed= 386 25Mhz
>Dhrystones/sec:               2942             2938          25913.08

>CPU and speed= 486 25Mhz
>Dhrystones/sec:              18466            18464          96855.37

As keeper of the 'stones results in the USA (reminding me its high
time to post the latest summary*), I couldn't help but notice that
the results you achieved for the 386 boxes are way out of line.
Unless those machines are severely crippled, your results are off
by at least a factor of two.  I'm not familiar enough with the 486 to
comment on that result.  My guess is that the benchmark was compiled with
HZ=60 rather than the correct value of HZ=100.  16 Mhz plus cache 386's
turn in around 5K stones, 25 and 33 Mhz plus cache in the 7K to 12K range.

-Rick

* BTW, I find that I have no results for 486 in my mailbox.
Could someone with access to a 486 and UNIX volunteer to send
some results to pcrat!dry2?

--
Rick Richardson | Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??? Ask About: |Mention
PC Research,Inc.| FaxiX - UNIX Facsimile System (tm)                   |FAX# for