SCSI Tape on 386ix

Paul Emerson paul at sdgsun.UUCP
Thu Mar 8 05:44:12 AEST 1990

Thanks to all who responded on my backup configuration question.
OK, so now I have an Archive Viper 2150s and an Adaptec 1542 controller.
For my hard disk I am using a WD1007-WA2 with two 170MB drives.  So I
am only using the 1542 for the tape.  I have disable the floppy port on the
1542, and have all the jumpers at the default.  Trying to configure the
kernel for this arrangement drove me nuts, but I did get it to build.
I selected the HPDD option and selected

Regular ESDI primary controller. (IRQ 14)
No secondary.
SCSI controller, with tape.     (IRQ 11)

The manuals, say that "aha1540, " must be included in mdevices.
The current line in mdevices is:

aha1540 -       iHo             aha_    0       0       0       2       -1

I also added the entries for tape_init() in gendev/space.c and tape/space.c

The kernel builds. But no nodes in /dev.  According to the tape(7) man
page, the devices should be /dev/ct and /dev/nrct.  It goes on to explain
the the minor numbering scheme.  So I did a "makenod ct 41 3". But this
doesn't work.  Looking at /etc/conf/tmp/conf.c  is see that "tape" is
device major 28 (mdevices says 41), while aha1540 is 63
(which I had to kludge just to make the kernel build included it's
driver code).  If I let kconfig do it aha1540 and dsk conflict on 0.

Any clues?  Am I missing a release note(s)?

Paul

--
Paul J. Emerson                           Software Design Group, Inc.
Senior Technical Manager                  450 Lakemont Ave.