Printing Problems

carroll at sunb8.cs.uiuc.edu carroll at sunb8.cs.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 5 09:38:35 AEST 1990

This is a followup concerning slow printing under 386/ix 2.0.2:

I want to thank those to sent email. While not directly helpful, they did
point the way. Apparently, the problem is that the mono/printer card doesn't
generate any interupts. I've looked through the hardware specs that I have,
and nowhere is any mention of interupts from that card made. As a result, I
put another parallel card in, configured it as LPT1:, IRQ7, and told the
system to print on /dev/lp1 instead of /dev/lp0, and now things work fine.
The printer runs almost continously during printing. As far as I can tell,
the parallel port on the mono/printer card is basically useless under a
multi-tasking OS.

Problem: Printing on lp0 with 386/ix is very slow and bursty.
Solution: Install another parallel card, and move printing there.

Alan M. Carroll                "Like the north wind whistling down the sky,
carroll at cs.uiuc.edu             I've got a song, I've got a song.
Conversation Builder:           I carry it with me and I sing it loud
+ Tomorrow's Tools Today +      If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud"
Epoch Development Team
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!cs.uiuc.edu!carroll