Info req. for Seagate ST296N SCSI Drive

Ken Mitchum km at speedy.cs.pitt.edu
Wed Mar 28 07:30:25 AEST 1990

>I have a Seagate ST296N SCSI drive, along with the ST02 adapter. (When
>you power-up, it say "SCSI Host Adapter 2.00") What I want to know
>is if ANYONE is successfully running some form of Unix with this
>drive.

A device driver for the ST01/02 for Microport Unix 386 was posted several
months ago. I have the sources if you want them. You may be able to
adapt the driver to other versions of Unix.

>What determines a drives compatibility with Unix?

For a scsi device, it is the drive's compatibility with the host
adapter and driver that matter. Cylinders, heads, etc. should not
matter, as the SCSI device appears only as a bunch of blocks. The
ST01/02 is an inexpensive host adapter specifically designed for
Seagate drives. With the onboard ROM, which emulates a standard ST506
controller for the DOS bios, only Seagate drives are supported.  The
Microport driver assumes you pull the ROM off the board, and works
with drives from other vendors.

>Other info: Seagate technical support said it's recording method was RLL,
>but it was a SCSI drive. Supposedly the ST02 is made by Western Digital
>for Seagate.

SCSI has nothing to do with the RLL/MFM issue. The drive itself can use
any encoding, as long as it presents a SCSI interface to the outside world.
The ST01/02 is made by Future Domain, or at least carries a Future Domain
copyright on the ROM.

 Ken Mitchum KY3B
 km at cs.pitt.edu