Random hardware reset of '386

joel m. cook jmcook at jorel.UUCP
Tue Mar 20 01:01:41 AEST 1990

I have a Hi-Q (local place) 80386 system that has
a Dataexpert motherboard with C&T chipset and AMI bios.
It runs at 25MHz, has 4MB SIPP's, an 80387, and
a board with two serial ports and a parallel port (don't
know the manufacturer).  I'm running AT&T UNIX, SysV R3.2u
and am quite happy but for one, rather serious exception:
occasionally, and randomly, the system does a hardware reset.
That's annoying enough with DOS, but with UNIX, it's a real
pain in the butt!  Kinda tough on the filesystem integrity, too!
I've not been able to pin it down...thought for a while it might
be related to switching the monitor on and off (voltage spike/drop
whatever), but this morning it happened for no apparent reason
without turning the monitor on.
It did occur just after I turned the printer off, but kinda hard
to see the relationship.  The folks at Dataexpert said it might
be the motherboard shorting to the case, and I ought to run it
with the motherboard out of the case--which may be a great
experiment in theory, but not the easiest to implement.

I'd very much appreciate any help/pointers/whatever about
the cause and the solution (short of taking the bloody
thing back and replacing it!).  Thanks in advance.

				Joel Cook

--
			Joel M. Cook
			{uunet, att}!jorel!jmcook