Colorado Mag Tape driver for SYSV/386

Erik Lode erik at hpfcso.HP.COM
Thu Mar 22 02:36:35 AEST 1990

/ hpfcso:comp.unix.i386 / morris at dms.UUCP (Jim Morris) / 11:25 am  Mar 19, 1990 /
> From article <2321 at promark.UUCP>, by mark at promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis):
> >
> > Just a note.  We have 6 - 8 of these drives at various locations/clients.
> > The first drivers we got were ver 2.02.  Problem... The kernel paniced
> > and crashed abruptly.  The tapes would write fine, but when you read them
> > back, they crash with an error 12.  The manual states this is related to
> > the Reed-Solomon ECC.  In any case, a few months ago I called yelling
> > about the problem.  It existed on 4 different manufacturer's 386 boards,
> > two flavors of Xenix, and 3 versions of xenix.  All exhibit the same
> > problem.
> >

> I have a Jumbo tape drive running on Xenix 2.3.2 Using the 'standard" QIC-40
> driver supplied with Xenix. It seens to work fine. I have never had a crash,
> although I do get an error the first time the drive is accessed after a boot.
> After that error everything works fine. I don't doubt that CMS's driver is buggy
> but if you can use the one supplied with Xenix what is the incentive for them
> to fix it?? :>)

> It would be nice if they would supply enough info for us to write our
> own drivers, but like everyone else who tried, I was told that they could not
> supply any info. I really don't like dealing with a company that is so
> uncooperative, I probably won't buy any more of their drives because of that.
> It is worth paying extra to deal with a responsive company!!
> Anybody know of a "responsive" tape drive manufacturer???

> --
> Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris at dms.UUCP
> Voice	(408) 434-3798
> Atari Games Corporation, 675 Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035 USA
> (Arcade Video Game Manufacturer, NOT Atari Corp. ST manufacturer).
> ----------

Hello Mr.Morris,

Here is the info you wanted on who to write or call to write your own driver:

Quarter Inch Cartridge Drive Standards, Inc.
311 East Camarillo St.
Santa Barbra, CA 93101

Voice: 805-963-3853
Fax:   805-962-1541

simply ask for the QIC-117 and QIC-40 spec's.

Any futher information on writing or on Colorado Memory Systems Xeinx driver
please call Matt Nelson at 800-432-5858.

Colorado Memory Systems
Matt Nelson, Support Engineer
800 S. Taft
Loveland, CO 80537