Seeking GCC for Bell Tech Unix/386

Jim Heasley heasley at bu-ast.bu.edu
Mon Mar 12 03:29:06 AEST 1990

I have just purchased the Bell Technologies Unix System V/386 Release
3.2 for my 386 AT compatible.  What I bought was the "System Platform
Kit" which is what the base level system plus a few enhancements are
called by the vendor.  My intention is to use this operating system as
the basis of a single user multitasking workstation.

The system does not contain a C compiler or some of the other software
features I'm used to with other Unix systems.  (There is a "Software
Development Set" available from Bell Technoglogies, but since this is a
low, i.e., no budget project that is not feasible option at this time.)
Many of these programs are available on the network or from the Unix-C
archives at Simtel20, but the rub is one needs a C compiler to build
them.  Some time ago I recall seeing discussions regarding using the Gnu
C compiler as the development tool for just this sort of thing on 386
machines, and indeed GCC (Version 1.36) is available on Simtel20, but
the problem still remains, namely how to bootstrap GCC onto the 386
machine.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to any other System V/386
machines that I could use to generate the GCC for my system.

Is there some kind soul out there who has GCC running on this type of
configuration who would be willing to provide me with an executable for
the compiler and the necessary libraries to get me started?  Also, I
see in the Unix documentation that this System V supports shared
libraries.  Does this apply to code generated with the GCC as well?

Rather than filling the newsgroups please reply directly by e-mail.

Thanks,

Jim Heasley

Department of Astronomy
Boston University
(On leave from the University of Hawaii)

Internet:	heasley at bu-ast.bu.edu
Bitnet:		heasley at buasta