Need information on VP/IX or DosMerge ability to access odd hardware

Norman Kohn nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Wed Mar 28 14:44:11 AEST 1990

In article <31959 at sequent.UUCP> kevinr at sequent.UUCP (Kevin W. Rudd) writes:

>	I am seriously considering scrapping the dual machine set-up I have and
>getting a single 386 to run both my unix and DOS applications.  The one
>application that is a must for me to be able to run under some sort of DOS
>emulation is my watson voice mail card/software.  What I would like to know is
>if the DOS emulation programs out there will allow a DOS program access to odd
>hardware.  The watson uses standard com I/O port addresses and interrupts
>(either configured as com1 or com2).

An interesting question.  While I haven't tried it, I'd expect
it to run... but would have concerns about the ability
to handle voice properly.  How big are Watson's buffers?
If Watson is swapped out to disk, can he handle an  incoming call?

I've assumed here that vpix will swap out. unix is not intrinsically
real-time and may not be able to meet the needs of watson.
If you try it, please post your experience.

--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840