Why do you need a 387 to run X11R3?

Skip Montanaro montnaro at spyder.crd.ge.com
Tue Mar 13 04:01:10 AEST 1990

In article <20301 at nuchat.UUCP> steve at nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:

   Personally I think the choice of doing FP emulation in the kernel
   was regretable, especially given the price-sensitivity common
   to most 386 users and the astounding price of 387 chips.  But
   I can understand why they went that way, with the huge push
   for binary compatiblity that is going on.

Sun also uses a kernel trap/emulation scheme on there SPARC machines. (They
use (or used to use) compiler flags on there 680x0 machines.) What a
disaster! Fortunately, the only machine that exhibits this problem is the
4/110. All other SPARC machines Sun sells have FPUs.

Skip (montanaro at crdgw1.ge.com)
--
Skip (montanaro at crdgw1.ge.com)