Help! Sockets question

Ian Watson ian at hpopd.HP.COM
Wed Mar 7 08:27:21 AEST 1990

I'm developing a client-server application using Berkeley Sockets over TCP/IP.
I use connection-oriented (stream) sockets.  My question is probably about
principles of Sockets, generally, but for the record, the server runs SCO Unix
V.3.2, the client runs DOS.  When I call 'recv' on the server, I'm getting
EWOULDBLOCK, which I don't understand as my RECV(SSC) man page says that 'If no
messages are available at the socket, the receive call waits for a message to
arrive', which is what I want, but not what I'm getting.

I need help with understanding what's going on here.  I ideally want to be able
to just send and recv my data (messages of varying length) without caring about
underlying buffering issues and the like -- at the application level, I already
have strict flow control.  Any pointers ?

Tx,
Ian Watson
ian at hpopd.HP.COM