Colorado Mag Tape driver for SYSV/386

Bill Campbell campbell at Thalatta.COM
Thu Mar 22 15:56:09 AEST 1990

In article <7350008 at hpfcso.HP.COM> erik at hpfcso.HP.COM (Erik Lode) writes:
>> It is worth paying extra to deal with a responsive company!!
>> Anybody know of a "responsive" tape drive manufacturer???
>
>> --
>> Jim Morris.         {motcsd|weitek}!dms!morris or morris at dms.UUCP
>> Voice	(408) 434-3798
>> Atari Games Corporation, 675 Sycamore Drive, Milpitas CA 95035 USA
>> (Arcade Video Game Manufacturer, NOT Atari Corp. ST manufacturer).

Not to add to the flames, but I have been using the CMS Jumbo drives
for some time now with generally very satisfactory results *SO LONG
AS THE TAPES ARE FORMATTED AND USED ON THE SAME DRIVES*!

Just today I was installing a new machine and dumped my 170Meg hard
disk to tape on my old system and went to reload on the new one.  I
started getting corrupted super blocks and the system would go Tango
Uniform just trying to get a list of files from the tape

	(tar -tvf /dev/rmt0)

After trying several different combinations and permutations of tapes
and drives (It was new machine remember), I finally determined that
the problem is most like drive alignment.

My conclusion is that while these are OK for a single system backup
they probably won't hack it for general data interchange, sigh...
--
....microsoft--\					Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-beaver-----!thebes!camco!bill	6641 East Mercer Way