Printing on a remote host using ISC's 386/ix

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.uucp
Fri Mar 9 03:35:27 AEST 1990

In article <LARRY.90Feb24152503 at focsys.uucp> larry at focsys.uucp (Larry Williamson) writes:

>   I'm trying to figure out how to transparently use a laser printer,
>   located on an Ethernet host, from my 386 running 386/ix version 2.0.2.
>   The host is running Ultrix.  Obviously, I could just use a shell script
>   with "cat $1|rsh <machine_name> /usr/ucb/lpr" but I'm looking for
>   something better.

I got a copy of "netlp" from ISC last September which implements a
client-server network lp interface (though I've never tested it).
According to the DISCLAIMER that came with the software, it was
an unsupported and freely copyable work.  Perhaps someone at ISC
could elaborate on the status and availablility of this program
here in this forum.  I hesitate to send out a copy of "netlp"
if it has been significantly improved and/or has become a bona-fide
ISC product.

-Rick

--
Rick Richardson | Looking for FAX software for UNIX/386 ??? Ask About: |Mention
PC Research,Inc.| FaxiX - UNIX Facsimile System (tm)                   |FAX# for