Tuning Streams

David Brown dbrown at apple.com
Thu Mar 15 10:32:03 AEST 1990

In article <4Y62V32xds13 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva)
writes:
> We're experiencing some problems with a network implementation on an
intel
> 320 running System V/386. The performance is dog slow, and we suspect
that
> the fact that it goes through streams may have something to do with it.
Has
> anyone any suggestions for how to go about tuning the system to optimise
> streams throughput?

One easy thing to do is run "crash" and type "strstat" to get streams
statistics, and look for failures and/or maximums near the limits (you do
not always get any sort of notification of failures - just unusual
behavior).  If you find anything, then up those streams parameters and
rebuild your kernel.

David Brown        415-649-4000
Orion Network Systems
(a subsidiary of Apple Computer)