VRAM Vga

Larry Campbell campbell at redsox.bsw.com
Thu Mar 22 21:25:51 AEST 1990

In article <180 at csinc.UUCP> rpeglar at csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar) writes:
-In article <1990Mar21.051715.27439 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, brando at uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) writes:
->
-> XGIF:   Failure to Allocate Desired Colors.  &&
->
->         UTTERLY FAILED to allocate blah blah blah.....
->
-
-I suspect your color allocation problems have to do with the server selected
-and/or the colormaps used.

No, this message occurs because VGA cards can display only 16 colors at a
time.  GIF images can contain 256 colors.  You'll get this message from xgif
with nearly any image if you're using a VGA card.  I think the only card that
supports 256 colors and is supported by ISC's X server is the IBM 8514A.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell at redsox.bsw.com                 120 Fulton Street