Upgrading

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.UUCP
Fri Mar 9 21:29:04 AEST 1990

In article <9954 at medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, yeh at cs.purdue.EDU (Wei Jen Yeh) writes:
>   o What is the best way to upgrade?
>   o Has anyone had good/bad experiences on this particular or any other model?
>   o Is it possible to use combinations of MFM/ESDI/SCSI types of controllers?
>   o Which scsi controller would you recommend?
>   o Is it necessary that the bios has a correct drive type for the disk (scsi)?
>   o How about dos (argh) support? any driver required?

I would suggest the 1542A SCSI/floppy controller for your 386 box.  It's
very fast and is a drop in replacement for the standard AT controller (or
it can run in the same box along side your existing controller).   The drive
information (heads, cyls, etc..) is embedded somewhere on the drive -
so the minute you fire the system up the controller knows that it is talking
to a "Miniscribe 9380S" - or whatever.

Regarding the price of $800 for a 150 megs CDC SCSI drive - that's a very good
price.  I've seen the Miniscribe 9380S for as low as $1395 (330 megs) but the
9380S doesn't have the buffering that the CDC's do.

--
The Northern Star Public Access Unix Site, Notre Dame, Indiana USA
     uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry    internet: larry at nstar