pathalias slowdown

Bill Campbell campbell at Thalatta.COM
Thu May 31 15:34:43 AEST 1990

In article <RON.90May30172314 at mlfarm.uucp> ron at mlfarm.uucp (Ronald Florence) writes:
:>We use pathalias (9.1 87/10/04) with Xenix 2.3.2, on a ps2/80 with six
:>megabytes of ram.  Building our map normally takes ~2 minutes.
:>
:>The recent batch of maps apparently has taken our pathalias over some
:>threshold.  Without the map u.usa.ca.1, the build takes the same ~2
:>minutes.  With all of the maps included on the command line, pathalias
:>churns and swaps, slowly growing in size.  An hour later, when I
:>finally killed the process, it was at 5704K (according to ps); the
:>machine was swapping furiously (the vmstat display made you want to
:>cry); and the last message from the "-v" option in pathalias was
:>still "***mapping".
:>
:>I assume we need more memory.  Why does the memory need grow so
:>ferociously with what seems an incremental addition of nodes and
:>links?  Is there a fix short of another two megabytes of ram?
:>
:>Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
:>--

There has been considerable discussion on comp.mail.uucp about
this problem.  It seems there is a bug in one of the map entries
in the ca.1 map and a new mexico map that causes older pathalias
to loop.

There is supposed to be a new version of pathalias available that
doesn't blow up on this.

Try looking at the discussions in comp.mail.misc and
comp.mail.uucp.
--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way