Archive 525 MB SCSI tape drive

Pim Zandbergen pim at cti-software.nl
Wed May 9 03:29:32 AEST 1990

Some time ago I asked the net whether it is possible to
have two tape units connected on a 386/ix system,
one Wangtek 60 MB for reading and writing QIC-24
and one Archive VIPER 2150S for reading and writing QIC-120 and QIC-150.

It turned out to work quite well. I can both read and write all formats.
The only problem is that I can't read DC600A tapes written on
a QIC-120 unit, although they are readable on real QIC-120 units.
I can read DC600XTD tapes written on a QIC-120 drive, though.

But now that I have to use three QIC-150 tapes to backup our two
300 MB disk drives, I am considering replacing the 2150S with the
new Archive VIPER 525 MB SCSI tape drive.

This drive will supposedly read and write all formats the 2150S will,
plus QIC-525 (if that is what it is called).

But will it work under 386/ix 2.02 ? I am using an Adaptec 1542A SCSI HA.

Thanks for any info.
Pim Zandbergen                             domain : pim at cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                            uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70              phone  : +31 70 3542302
2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands         fax    : +31 70 3512837