UNIX and IDE interface?

James Howard jrh at mustang.dell.com
Thu May 31 12:09:07 AEST 1990

In article <2284 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E
Davidsen Jr) writes:

>   Has anyone ever run Xenix or UNIX on a system with a IDE disk? I can't
> seem to get an answer from anyone who's done it, and "it should work"
> from a vendor dosn't fill me with confidence.
>
>   I'm looking to put together a very low cost UNIX system, in quantity,
> and if I use an IDE interface I think I can do it for <$3k complete,
> including software, display, and ethernet. With one per person
> performance should not be an issue.
>
> --
> bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
>             "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

That is one of the most popular configurations we sell UNIX on at Dell.  The
drives that I KNOW will work include Conner 40MB, 100MB, Seagate 40MB, and
Maxtor 190MB.  I am fairly sure that most quality IDE drives that adhere to
the specs will work as reliably as an ESDI.  Some of the early IDE drives had
problems with UNIX, but most of these vendors have got there act together by
now...

James Howard
Dell Computer Corp.
jrh at mustang.dell.com

The opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily
those of my employer.